Labor communication academics and activists will come together during the II. International Labor and Communication Conference as a part of the Sixth International Labor Film Festival on the 6th and 7th of May 2010, in Ankara, Turkey.
Call for Papers
At the beginning of 21th century, the interaction of communication, technology and labor, on the one hand, leads to new forms of economic, political and ideological structures of capitalism. On the other hand, this interaction means new possibilities in the organisation, solidarity and resistance practices of labor. LaborComm 2011 focuses on the new forms of capitalism and the possibilities of organisation, solidarity and resistance of labor within the context of information and communication technologies (ICTs). Moreover, LaborComm 2011 aims to discuss new forms of work and class formation within the context of ICTs. This conference targets to follow up the footprints of the interaction of communication, technology and labor in politics, economics, daily life and culture and to develop “pro-labor” conceptual and theoretical frameworks to explain these footprints.
Possible topics include (but are not limited to):
• ICTs and the new forms of economic, political and ideological structures of capitalism
• Conceptual and theoretical frameworks “claiming” the explanations of the new forms of capitalism
• ICTs and organisation, solidarity and resistance
• Threats against organisation, solidarity and resistance
• New forms of work in media/telecommunication/information industries
• New forms of labor and class formations in media/telecommunication/information industries
• “Pro-labor” conceptual and theoretical frameworks to explain the interaction of communication, technology and labor in politics, economics, daily life and culture
March 15 2011: Deadline to submit abstracts. Abstracts (max. 500 words) should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
March 20 2011: Results of the selection process.
April 15 2011: Presenters submit their completed papers. Complete papers should be sent to email@example.com
The event will be streamed live and all sessions will be available for viewing over the internet
Ankara University, Faculty of Communication, Division of Informatics
The main Call For Papers and information about other conference
arrangements are on the Conference Website at www.laborcomm.org